The CCC-Era Stone Oven in Cross Fork, Pennsylvania is one of many historically points of interest that can be found in this area in the purlieus of the Ole Bull Castle site. Near to the intersection of Joerg Road and Ole Bull Road, there is an old Stone and Brick Oven, likely used by the Ole Bull Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp for meal preparation.
This structure is located just off of the Joerg Road, and can be seen from the public roadway.
This structure is located just off of the Joerg Road, and can be seen from the public roadway. No real hiking is required to visit this old oven.
Hikers will find a small parking turnout near by the coordinates provided. The turnout is enough for 1 vehicle but no more without blocking traffic on the Joerg Road (which could include large log trucks).
Do not block the public use of the Joerg Road, or any of the privately-leased cabin access roads, or any of the yellow-gated forest service roads in the area.
This structure is located just off of the Joerg Road, and is not dog-friendly.
Biking is allowed along all of these multi-use trails and roads in the area except for the STS. Additionally, horses are not allowed along the STS.
Camping and Backpacking
Although camping is allowed along trails in the Susquehannock State Forest, PA where state forest rules permit backcountry / dispersed / primitive camping. This structure just off of the Joerg Road, and is not suitable for Camping and Backpacking. The Susquehannock Trail System aka STS is by far the best place to camp in this area; but it would be best for the camper to park at another pre-defined parking area for any extended hikes or overnight camping trips.
Hikers can find a large parking turnout near a yellow gate along the Twelve Mile Rd. where the STS crosses the Twelve Mile Rd. See Big Trestle Trail for extended trip parking coordinates and details.
History and Historical Points of Interest
Castle Vista Trail Ole Bornemann Bull (1810 - 1880), a once-famous Norwegian violinist, relocated a colony of fellow Norwegians near the site in September 1852. From this vantage point (Nordjeuskald), Ole Bull started to build his castle, but this large wooden cabin was never completed. All that remains today is the foundation and a stone retaining wall along the mountainside. The colony disbanded and moved west after a year of severe hardships.
Dense forests of magnificent white pine, hemlock and hardwoods grew here in Potter County for many decades. In the late 1800's and early 1900's, industrial saw mills, tanneries, and chemical plants were established, using wood or bark as raw materials which brought rapid population increases. As the hillsides became barren, the population spiraled downward with much of the deforested timberland abandoned, Before than, Native Americans had passed through the forested wilderness.
Ole Bull State Park was established in 1920. The CCC camp located in the Kettle Creek watershed opened in the 1933 under the designation Ole Bull S-87-PA. Its servicemen constructed picnic shelters, dammed the creek for swimming, and assisted local foresters in fire control and reforestation of the land. The Camp Ole Bull closed in 1941. The CCC camps provided the pretrained troops to fill the ranks upon this country's mobilization into World War II in that same year, and many of the CCC servicemen readily assumed the role of Non-Commissioned Officers (NCO) in the US Army.