The Haley Trail at the Kittery Town Farm Forest in Kittery, Maine is an easy 0.6-mile one-way trail that cuts through the entire forest and connects to the Quimby Trail.
This trail really does not have much to see along it, but it's a nice quiet trail with light foot traffic. The trail connects to the Quimby Trail and is named after the Captain John R. Haley and/or the Haley family. This recording begins at the northern parking lot and terminates along the blue blazes of the Quimby Trail.
Hikers will find parking at both ends of this trail. Both parking lots can fit about a half-dozen vehicles or so, as of May 2021. The directions for this trail will bring the hiker to the northern parking lot along Lewis Rd in Kittery, Maine.
Dogs are allowed if leashed and their waste must be carried out by the hiker.
The Haley Trail follows yellow blazes as of May 2021.
This land used to be part of the Kittery Alms House. Earliest Kittery Town records mention the Alms House in the 1875-1876 Auditor's Report. The building and land provided a home for residents who had fallen on hard times. They grew their own crops and raised some farm animals. Some time later the name was changed to the Poor Farm and then the Town Farm. It continued to provide for the residents needs through World War II until 1961, when the town spent $500 to have the building demolished. The land was then renamed to the Kittery Town Farm Forest and opened to all residents to enjoy as a natural area. The Haley family cemetery and many unmarked graves are located within the Town Forest.
Hikers should note that the northern section of this trail lies on private property. The property owners have granted the public permission to use their land to access the Kittery Town Farm Forest trails. Please respect the land owners.